Tuesday 12 August 2008

To Bodhnath



After spending two weeks trekking in the empty himalayas followed by some time wildlife spotting in the largely deserted Chitwan National Park, coming back to the tourist district of Kathmandu's Thamel suburb was too chaotic for my mellow mood. Instead, I spent just a few days in Thamel's busy little streets before heading out to Boudhanath for somewhere a little more peaceful. Here I spent my time circling the stupa, visiting Tibetan gompa's, and relaxing at my hotel reading. Whether it was something in the air or the simple fact that I basically had a week to do almost nothing, I have to say that my time at boudhanath was some of the most relaxing days I have ever had while traveling. One day I even managed to sit in on a Tibetan Buddhist prayer session, and as the only tourist in the back of the large monastery I felt like I was witnessing something truly genuine.

No comments: