Sunday 27 July 2008

Pokhara & Chitwan



Pokhara, the city on the lake. Pokhara is a quiet place with not a great deal to do but the atmosphere and the views are really great. Spending most of my days doing all my shopping (with the help of my Nepalese trekking guide who got me local prices) I also managed to get out of Pokhara slightly and visit two nearby tibetan settlements. The settlements were basic and the people very friendly but the vibe of it all was still very depressing, a people living displaced is never a happy sight.
From Pokhara i was lucky enough to see views of the full Annapurna Range as the clouds cleared one morning while I was there for the first time in 4 months!!
It was in Pokhara that I purchased my 'Bagh Chal' board game, a Nepalese classic similar in some ways to chess or checkers, where one player is the tigers and the other the goats.
In Chitwan national park i managed to see wild Rhino's charge (from the safety of elephant back) and river crocodiles. Apart from this however, I was not too impressed with Chitwan, a town that seemed to be a backwater of the world and as national park that we as tourists barely scraped the fringes of. Compared to Borneo Chitwan was almost pathetic, only the Rhino's and the friendly local people made it worth visiting.

No comments: