Tuesday 20 May 2008

Dusun Village.


To kick off my adventure in Borneo I headed to a Dusun Village called Kiau, where we had accommodation just beside the local catholic church. When we arrived the church was packed with the local townspeople who were celebrating the harvest festival. Adults sang songs inside the church and little kids ran everywhere playing games and posing for photos. They loved the digital camera so much I was having trouble photographing them as they all swarmed so close to me I couldn't get them in the lens...
After the afternoon of much photo taking we all headed to the house of our guide for climbing Mt. Kinabalu, a legendary guide who has climbed to the summit over 4500 times! Here we ate a beautiful dinner cooked by his wife and then started our night drinking on the local rice wine. Being harvest festival bottles of wine and very drunk locals were overflowing in the small house, while a horrendous downpour prevented us returning to our accommodation and made sure the party went well into the night. I stayed awake until around 1:30 to celebrate the birthday of a girl who would be doing some of my travels through borneo with me, and a very good, and strange, night was had.
In Kiau the villagers made us feel extremely welcome, fed us well, and shared with us their amazing geographical location. And in the morning following, I felt very hungover!

No comments: